Finding comfort in Psalm 139

Psalm 139 has faithfully carried me through hard times and celebrations. With delighted anticipation, I read Psalm 139 nightly to the children growing in my pregnant belly. I read it to my daughter A when Rett syndrome began stealing her skills and I needed a reminder that God is truly in control. At her diagnosis, I read it with her as more of a prayer to build my faith in God’s control. I still read it often when I need to hear God’s promise of His deep caring. I insert A’s name to remember how precious and perfect she is. There is a design to her life that I don’t need to understand (a good thing, since I don’t see the bigger picture) and that design is flawless.
I find myself clinging to Psalm 139 for comfort and promise right now.  Uncontrolled seizures--again--compromise A’s skills and alertness. It's a tough time for her and so for me as well, sharing her pain by proxy and suffering my inability to kiss the hurt and make it go away.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Psalm 139

1O Lord, you have searched me and you know me.
2You know when I sit and when I rise;
You perceive my thoughts from afar.
3You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.
4Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord.
5You hem me in--behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.
6Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
too lofty for me to attain.
7Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
8If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
9If I rise on the wings of the dawn,  
if I settle on the far side  of the sea,
10even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.
11If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me,
and the light become night around me,”
12even the darkness will not be dark to you; 
the night will shine like the  day,
for darkness is as light to you.
13For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together  in my mother’s womb.
14I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
15My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
16your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
17How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!
18Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand.
When I awake,
I am still with you.
                                             New International Version


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What verses bring you comfort when your child is going through a rough patch? Does one stand out for you as being especially helpful?

1 comment:

Keely said...

Thank you. I can't tell you how much I needed to read this tonight.

Keely

www.halftheenergy.blogspot.com